Wednesday, November 18, 2009

You're going to WDW without the kids?!?

Kevin & Me, April 2009


Yes, in fact I am.

In 60 days I am headed to the most magical place on Earth without my kids.

And, I am feeling a little bit guilty about that.

Last month, K was invited to a trade show by one of his biggest national vendors. And, the trade show just happens to be in Orlando....at Walt Disney World. Oh, and I should mention -- they are paying for everything - his airfare, hotel, tips, transportation, food. Everything. So, we weighed the pros and cons for, oh, about two hours and decided "let's go!"

But we are leaving the kids at home. Well, OK...we're leaving them with their grandparents, but still. The point is, we aren't taking them when we go to WDW - their favorite place!

The biggest reason...it would be way too costly to take them for such a short trip. We're arriving in Orlando on a Sunday and leaving on Tuesday morning. To buy plane tickets for the kids it would be an additional $300 plus the cost of food and park tickets -- essentially it would be an additional $700 or more and we just can't swing that right now.

So, we'll be staying at the Disney's Coronado Springs Resort (and I'm very excited about this!) and we've decided to head over to Epcot on the day we arrive. Epcot without the kids = we don't have to rush through the countries and/or stand in line to meet the characters. And, we're planning on having a nice 'adult' dinner (read: minus any characters) ... maybe at Kouzzina.

And then on Monday, I will be heading to the Magic Kingdom, alone. That's right...I'm planning on going all by myself to my favorite park in all of WDW. A friend said "um, isn't there a spa you could go to?"....and I'm sure there is, but WHY would I want to spend a day in the spa when I can spend a day at the Magic Kingdom?!?

I plan on riding what I want to ride, walking at MY own pace, stopping when I want to stop. You know, doing what I want to do! And then after lunch, I'm going to meet K at Downtown Disney!

But the highlight of this trip just might be the private party we get to attend on Monday night. We aren't sure what park we'll be going to, but we know it's a PRIVATE party -- which means it takes place AFTER the park closes and it'll just be us and the other 1,000 trade show attendees! (My guess is Disney's Hollywood Studios, because it closes at 7 pm that day...but we'll see. I might be wrong).

Can you imagine? Having one of the theme parks almost entirely to yourself??? It's like a dream come true!

And so, I'll have a trip report in mid-January ... full of tips for traveling to WDW without your kids.

-TLC

No comments: